Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day

Kali Brown

This is my cute family, and right in the center is my mom.  I've blogged about families before, but because mother's day is so close, I am going to focus on the importance of mothers in the gospel.

When I think about the knowledge I've gained in my life, the root of most of it comes from the simple things I was taught by my mother at a very young age.  She began teaching me very simple things and as I grew the things she taught me became more complex.  One of the things she taught me that I will never forget is that if I put my trust in the Lord and follow Him, He will always take care of me. 

My mother is a great example of trusting in the Lord.  One specific example I can remember came during a time of financial difficulty in my family.  My parents were constantly discussing the amount of bills they had compared to the income and things just weren't working out.  My mother knew though that if she paid her tithing first, the Lord would somehow make things work out.  And you know what?  He did.  He always does.  The Lord promises to bless us if we keep His commandments and I know the Lord keeps His promises.

This is just one of the many lessons my mother taught me through her example.  In the world today I don't think the role of mother is given the credit it should be.  Motherhood is an eternal calling from God.  It is one of the most precious gifts Heavenly Father gives to His daughters.  He allows them to love, raise and teach His spirit children.  That is a great trust.  The role of a mother is sacred and precious and can bring out the greatest joy we are capable of experiencing in this life.

With that joy and blessing also comes a great responsibility.  We are trusted with God's children.  The home is the place where we are able to learn about our Savior and grow in a loving environment.  Despite what the world says, the mother is primarily responsible for nurturing their children.

I love the scripture in Alma 56 about the 2000 stripling warriors.  They went to war in order to protect their families, and they went forth with faith:  

"47 Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the aliberty of their bfathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their cmothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.
 48 And they rehearsed unto me the words of their amothers, saying: We bdo not doubt our mothers knew it."

These warriors had such a strong testimony of the Savior that they did not fear going to war for a noble cause.  They knew the Lord would protect them.  They knew this because of their mothers.

I am so grateful for my mom.  I love her dearly.  I know that it is largely because of her that I knew what path I wanted to take for my own life.

I understand that no mother is perfect and no family situation is perfect, but I do know that happiness in the family comes when founded upon the teachings of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  If we want a happier family, focus on Jesus Christ and His teachings.  It is never too late to turn to the Savior and rely on the enabling power of His Atonement.  He lives and because He lives we can live again too.