Thursday, May 24, 2012

Don't Let Satan Win!!!



The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.  I love this book with all of my heart, and the more I read it, the more I learn how to apply it to my life.  As we study the Book of Mormon we come to find the messages in the book that were prepared just for us.  The Lord knows each of us, and as we are obedient to His commandments He promises we can have the Spirit with us. 

This week's Book of Mormon lesson comes from 2 Nephi 4.  Lehi has just died and Nephi is watching as his family is about to be torn apart because of the choices of his brothers.  He is lamenting and is sorrowful, but he is also certain that if he trusts in God, God will take care of him.  Verses 26-30 were especially touching, and they read:

26 O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?
 27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptation, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
 28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
 29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.
 30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

Life can be rough.  We are met with all types of trials, whether from our own choices, choices of others, or things we can't control, but when we let ourselves get caught up in sorrow or sin we are letting Satan win.  It is important to feel sorrowful when we make mistakes, because that draws us to repent, but it is important to distinguish between sorrow for sin and discouragement.

We are all imperfect, and we live in an imperfect world.  Things are going to go wrong.  People are going to make mistakes.  That is all part of the plan.  We are here to learn and here to grow.  As we learn from our mistakes and repent we gain experience and we come closer to Christ.

Lesson:  Let us no longer droop in sin.  I love the mental image this provides.  Shake of the chains of Satan.  If there's something you need to change, DO IT!  Then you can rejoice in Christ.  Following Him is not the easy way, but anything worth having is worth working for.  If we are doing our best to follow Christ, repent of our sins, and keep the commandments, then we need not droop in sin.  We need not become discouraged, because the Lord will fill us with hope and our faith will increase.

I love the Book of Mormon.  I know without a doubt that this book is from God.  It was translated by the power of God by His prophet, Joseph Smith.  Don't take my word for it, read it yourself!  Have the faith to open the book and open your heart to the witness of the Holy Ghost.